Tuesday 1 December 2009

Kaohsiung Fun

My weekend break to break to Kaohsiung was wonderful. I ran to catch a bus from the Ubus stand Sat evening, then waited around the High Speed Rail in Taichung for an hour. I bumped into an old Language Exchange partner there and we chatted for a bit. It was great! The train journey was short, which was awesome! Then I hopped on the MRT and met up with my friends. Sunday was spent being shown the highlights of Kaohsiung. It was a fantastic day. Here are a few shots of the sights.

A picture of the bridge right next to where you can get the ferry for NT$15 to Chi-Chin (or Cijin) Island, very cheap! You get the MRT to Yanchengpu (the second last stop on the orange line) in the direction of Sizihwan. The MRT system in Kaohsiung is fantastic. So convenient. It's all numbered. So even if you pick up a Chinese guide, which I did, all you need is to know which number you need and off you go. It even has handy pictures on it so you can navigate. It is also handy having a Chinese guide to point at when you inevitably hop in a cab.




Fishermen on the dock.




The sea in the harbor, what a lovely shade. Tis a shame about the yucky oil from the ferry getting into it.




The beach on Chi-Chin Island.




A beautiful shore view.




A view of the lighthouse on the top of Chi-Chin Island.








A view of the width of Chi-Chin Island at Kaohsiung Harbor.





The lighthouse at Kaohsiung Harbor on the top of Chi-Chin Island.



The next few pictures are of Temples around Lotus Lake. You can get the MRT to Zoying (No. 16) on the red line. Going in the direction to Gangshan South. Also, Zoying is the stop you get off at for the high speed rail (said as Goutiay Kaohsiung jang). It is literally above the MRT. I can't remember if it was this stop, but 'Ecological district' rings a bell. That is stop 15. On the map 16 is closer to the lake, but 15 may be easier to navigate from.


The famous Pagoda at Lotus Lake. It is a slightly different style to the others. The roof sweeps up more. I am going to try and find out more info on it.




View of Lotus Lake.




Dragon Tiger Towers.



View of the path to the Dragon Tiger Towers. It zig zags so that ghosts can't follow your path. You walk in through the dragon side then out of the tiger. Those who do are said to gain good luck. I did it :)



Inside the dragon, the path to the pagoda.



When you emerge from the dragon you are led to the long walkway to the pagoda. It is very pretty at night when the lights in the lanterns are on.




View of the Dragon Tiger Towers at dusk.




The Warrior Emperor at the Temple of the Emperor of Dark Heaven Temple.




The Emperor of Dark Heaven Temple.



This place was cool. There were two machines which had fortunes. I tried the first one to the right, which took my NT$10 but the little lady in the machine did not give me my fortune. So I tried the second one, which did. I'm going to get ask a friend what is says, because naturally, it's all in Chinese :D


The famous Pagoda lit up at night. Very beautiful. Alas, my camera does not do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment