Wednesday 9 December 2009

Nightmarket discovery

A co-worker took me to check out the local night market tonight. It was great. I'm always swamped with work and tired afterwards, so I never went along until now. It's not the biggest night market but by Nantou standards it's pretty large. It is only on Wednesdays. I'll totally be checking it out next week. There is an awesome sushi stall. Every piece is NT$10, you pick and choose what you want. I'm looking forward to that :D

I also found out that there is a KTV here. If you don't know what that is. Taiwan LOVES karaoke. KTV is the place you go to, hire a room, and sing till your heart is content...or until your throat gives out :D

My friend Molly also bought me some 'squid balls' to try. I have included a picture below. They were delicious! They were a dough type ball with squid and veg inside. The topping was Taiwanese mayonnaise (this is much sweeter than mayo back home), with powdered seaweed and dried onion (I think) on top.

Here is a picture of the squid balls.




Here is a close up of the inside of one of the squid balls.



One day, on the way to work, I saw a vendor selling these flat cake thingys. I thought they looked so cool because they are purple! I'm told it is sweet potato with some kind of colouring from a vegetable (I can't remember what gives it the colour). It was sweet on the outside because it had been fried with sugar, but once you bit into it, it wasn't sweet. It was quite a strange taste sensation, but still a pleasant one.

No comments:

Post a Comment