Tuesday 30 March 2010

More food info

After a busy weekend of relaxing :D I treated myself to a cake type biscuit thing. I ate 'hello kitty' as part of my lunch. It had jam in the middle, it was like she was bleeding. It fits in well with me liking to talk to my food and torture it. lol. Like I do with jelly babies and freddo bars. haha. I had to be slightly quiet though as I was at work. I don't want them to think i'm crazy :D


Here are a couple of other things from other times. I've been taking more photo's to show you what random things I eat and see.

These are some rice ball thingys. I don't know the name and can't remember the Chinese. They are balls (made from glutinous rice) that have a peanut sugar stuff in it (not sticky) and coated in something. They are very nice, apart from the rice part. That makes them look like dumplings, but because the dough is made from glutinous rice it is incredibly stretchy and tastes like it needs to be cooked (I asked Minerva a good friend about them, they aren't cooked before you eat them).


This is 'gan mien', dry noodles. They serve noodles in soup here. So you have to specifically ask for dry noodles if you don't want them with soup. These are from a little place literally across from where I live. I had been buying various stuff to try it out but I generally didn't like anything I got there. I liked their noodles but not the flavour of the soup they came in, then I had the brainwave to ask for dry noodles. Yum! Best i've had so far in Nantou.

Oh, you have to be careful with how you pronounce 'gan', if you use the wrong tone you ask for 'f**k' noodles. I would prefer not to swear at people. Generally though, if you're a foreigner then it should be ok, they'll know what you are talking about.

A popular breakfast dish. Dan bing. Egg pancake type thing. It is very nice. You can get various ingredients. I rarely get them but on Saturday I managed to get one before going to work.

There is a little story to go with this one. I went to the breakfast shop, as soon as the workers saw me I saw the look of panic on their faces. The look of 'uh oh, a foreigner'. Last time I went there was a very long time ago with Zach and we had no problems ordering what we wanted. I attempted to ask for what I wanted, to no avail. Thankfully a local came to the rescue. A lovely guy offered his services in translation. I didn't know the english for the 'bin(g)' part, but he said I was saying it alright. So I believe the cooks must have panicked. haha. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment