Monday 21 June 2010

Scootering, finding a flatmate, meeting new folks and party police

This past weekend was brilliant! First of all, on Friday I went into Taichung to get a hire scooter. Which was so good! It was amazing being able to drive myself around for a change. I have it to keep me going for a bit until I get Zach's scooter when he leaves.

On Saturday I taught my class and then headed to Taichung to meet my friend Dave for a coffee and catch up. We chatted about all sorts. We are both looking for a new apartment in Taichung around the same time so we've decided to find a flat together. He's a cool chap who has his head screwed on right. I think it will be fun sharing a place with him. He has loads of plants (is a horticulturist by trade originally but now teaches English), loves to cook and speaks Spanish. So i'm hoping I can learn from him :D I'd love to improve my Spanish...by remembering it. lol. Before I go to Spain to work. I would like to live in Spain at some point.

I met various friends of his over the course of the afternoon/evening and then ended up going to a party with them all. I met a foreign and Taiwanese teacher who work at the branch i'm being moved to. They were really cool. It seems that there is a great working atmosphere at my new place, so i'm looking forward to that.

The party was on the rooftop of a small department store. Department stores here are different to those in the UK. They are much better and posher. It was quiet to start with and then the police came to check people's ages. Then they decided to check every ones ID. It took them so long! But once they left the music started up again.

I danced a bit and had a great time! We took a break, a few of us went outside to see what was what down in the park. I suppose to get a breather from the 'party'. We witnessed a domestic in the park. It was awful! The man was dragging the girl across the ground and flinging her around. No one was interceding. Dave and a new friend Denise (Taiwanese) went to the local 7-11 to get them to call the police but they didn't care. Thankfully, by the time we were calling them, another group who were watching it all as well had already called the police. So they turned up and sorted things out. Or at least, stopped her from being treated the way she was. But as soon as the police arrived she ran for it. I would have ran towards the police. But it was around 2am so she may well have been drinking.

We headed back into the party after we saw that everything had calmed down and danced a bit more. I ended up staying at Dave's...well he is staying with a friend of his called Kyle...who had worked in Nantou before. Pretty cool. So I was just about getting to sleep towards 6am on the couch when Kyle came back with a bunch of people. He forgot that I was staying. But it was alright, I had good banter with the lads and chilled listening to music. They left just before 8am. So I had a long day. I slept for a few hours and got up around 2pm. I waited around until then to see if Dave and Kyle would get up. I figured they weren't so I snuck out and went to hang out with Renee and Geoff.

We chilled and watched some TV. Went to get ingredients for dinner. Zach joined for dinner. Renee cooked beef stroganoff for us. It was delicious. We also watched the 'goonies', I forgot how much I loved that film At about 10pm I decided to head home so I could get a decent nights sleep.

Zach and I left at the same time, which was good because it gave us the opportunity to chat. We stopped dating and things became a little weird for a bit, so it was nice to talk it over.

He leaves for Turkey next Tuesday, so this weekend is a good celebration and a see off for him. I'm looking forward to getting together with everyone to wish him well.
It also means I get the scooter on Monday. In a week. So then i'll have my own (it's already in my name) and can have many mini-adventures :D

No comments:

Post a Comment