Wednesday 16 June 2010

Lukang on Dragon Boat Festival

So today is Dragon Boat Festival. So I jumped on a bus to Changhua, then one from there to Lukang and met Renee + Geoff. I had no idea there were races there and that was why the plan was to go to Lukang. haha. A nice surprise when I met them.

We wandered for a bit, checked out a couple of the famous spots that they hadn't seen then headed in search for the races. It took a while but we got there :)

















Me being eaten by the tiger exit. Because it is the exit, you are not supposed to enter the temple again (you go in through the dragon). There was a little old man who got quite nervous that I was going backwards a little too far. Bless him.


Longshan temple


Sneaky shot of a nun








It was great to see, but we didn't stay too long (I couldn't watch for hours, that would be rather dull). It was good to watch and see which teams were keeping in time to the drum beat. There is a person in each boat who bangs a drum, on the beat you are supposed to paddle. Some had great rhythm, others must have been tired :)











My random 'hot dog' from a vendor with red sauce. I was hungry so I ate it.


After that we headed to find the sea, and a beach. We did so, thanks to Renee's logic thinking that the wind turbines would be facing towards the sea.

The beach itself was pretty nasty. It was covered in litter and various skeletons/decaying animals. One example was what we surmised was a pig. Yuck. (I would have taken a picture but it was making feel rather sick). It was pretty stinky. We found a part of the 'beach' that was clear of trash and did a bit of paddling. It was so nice being by the sea again. I definitely have to make a trip to the East of the Island that boasts the most beautiful beaches.

After chilling for a while, and getting covered in sand and dirt we headed out of Lukang. Renee and Geoff dropped me at the big Buddha in Changhua and they headed home to Taichung.







Manky trash being washed up






A rickety walkway to get onto the sand










A pic of my faint footprint


Renee and Geoff


I spent quite a while by myself doing some reflecting/relaxing. It was really nice having some time out to myself at a temple.
After that I met, Zach, Matt, Lynn and Sarah for dinner. I had Kung Bao Chicken that was quite tasty. I ate most of it. I've not been eating well recently due to a lack of appetite, but I do force food down. It wouldn't do to not have any energy.

At dinner Zach found a cockroach on his hand and jumped sky high. It was quite funny. But I still feel guilty about laughing. Unfortunately very large cockroaches are a part of life here in Taiwan.

I got an early bus back to Nantou, near to 9pm. So it was nice to get back in at a decent time.







A squid vendor












A famous temple in Changhua that only opens on one day a year.




My bad sunburn from being an idiot and forgetting to put sun block on. Eek.

No comments:

Post a Comment