Tuesday 23 February 2010

Weekend in Taipei

I managed to make it to my friend Kurt's place. I was rather soaked by the time I got there and I got a little lost, as I often do, whilst navigating to his apartment. My excuse, I only got turned around because I was attempting to avoid the crowds of Shida night market (found around the corner from exit 3 of Taipower mrt station).

I dropped my stuff off and we went to a 'pub' called 'On Tap' for food and drinks. It was decently priced and had a good selection of food. We didn't get in until about 3am. haha.

Saturday, a lie in, obviously. Then we checked out an apartment Kurt may move into. We then headed to Ximen to grab a bite to eat. I think we left exit 2 and directly opposite the exit was the old theatre. Which is still in use. It was a lovely building, which behind has the gay area. Lots of curious shops in the plaza behind the theatre.

After that we went to the computer market (around the corner from Zhongxiao Xinsheng mrt-sorry I can't remember the exit number but in every mrt is a map of the surrounding area that shows points of interest) so I could get an external cd drive. We checked out the farmers market, the same as last time which is literally right next to the computer market (which is in a building). Kurt was on the hunt for honey and was successful.

View around MRT at Ximen.


On the Saturday when Kurt and I went to Ximen there was a little market with various goods around the theatre.


The old theatre.


Plaza behind the old theatre.




This is what you call Chinglish apparently. (picture of the menu at the American style restaurant in Ximen)


Haha. I had a submarine for lunch :)


Cute salt and pepper shaker.


Random street view.


For dinner we ate at Shida night market, grabbed some munchies and stayed in watching movies. Sad, but we watched Naruto movies. I love Naruto, so I was extremely happy, even if they were terrible. The first one was, but the quality and story lines improve with time.

Dinner from Shida night market. NT$120 for steak, noodles and egg.


On Sunday, more movie watching and then grabbed food at a great place called...

I navigated my way to 'King Bus' station. They have more regular buses to places like Taichung, Chung Hua, Nantou and then other places south of that area. In fact they are just about hourly if not more so. Glorious! (location to follow).

What a kerfuffle! The woman who sold me the ticket at the desk said it was for 17:20 even though it said 18:20 on it. She did say in Chinese, but I know enough to understand that and I asked her to repeat it about 4 times in different ways, just to make sure I understood what she said. So of course the bus driver didn't want to let me on. Thankfully the person next to me spoke english so he helped. The driver let me on. Then there was someone who claimed I was in their seat. Which I was, but they had a written ticket. So the driver put me in a random seat. Then a woman higher up than the driver came on the bus. She wanted to make me get off, thankfully she spoke english and I explained the situation. I think she felt she had no choice, so she put me in the only free space. Thank goodness. I really didn't want to hang around for another hour. It took me long enough to get to the station in the first place.

Then, arrived in Nantou. Back to my apartment. I was meant to meet friends but I was so exhausted I couldn't drive anywhere, so I went to sleep instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment