Tuesday 23 February 2010

The Return Journey

My return journey was an adventure and a half. It wasn't so bad really. First off, the man that helps you check-in changed my seat so that I had an aisle seat on my long flight to Shanghai. Wonderful!

The security check in Amsterdam looked through my hand luggage. haha. I was expecting it because I had a lot of gadgets in there and it was pretty full. He seemed a bit confused. I think they thought they saw something on the x-ray but couldn't find what they thought was there, so he had to let me go. He spent a long time taking things out and checking them. I of course had nothing illegal in my bag. Actually, it was reassuring that they stopped me. There were a lot of people who walked through the scanny thingy and the light turned red, I don't know whether that meant someone walked through or it was meant to be an alarm, but they hardly ever checked the people.

On my long flight, it was so nice being able to get up and walk around whenever I wanted. And so I did. I've been noticing pain in my hips when I walk, it also gets extremely painful if I sit for long periods. So it was great to be able to stretch and walk about.

I was sat next to two elderly German folks who are retired but now teach in China. How cool is that? They work for a school that has 18 branches in China. They were nice. I didn't sleep much so I was really tired later on.

I had a little trouble in Shanghai. I didn't have a boarding pass because it was too early to check my luggage in Edinburgh and me being me, I didn't have my print out of my internet booking. After landing, I went to the airline desk to ask about what to do to transfer. She told me just to go through immigration, collect my bag and then re-check it. Simple. Well no. At immigration, after a long wait, obviously they didn't want to let me pass without proof that I was not going to leave the airport without a visa or that I had proof of a transfer flight. It took a while, but with my terrible Chinese and their little English, we got there in the end. They were wonderfully helpful. Bless them, and must have checked some kind of computer system to see if I was there. Then I got a stamp in my passport and was allowed to go on my way.

I collected my luggage and then waited an extremely long time to re-check it. A warning to others, queuing is not in the nature of folks of this region of the world, so it took a lot longer than required to get to the desk. Luckily there was a mouthy woman shouting in Chinese about how bad the service was. Not a usual thing for a Chinese person to do, but thanks to her someone opened another check-in desk.

After I got my boarding pass I was allowed to leave the transfer hall and enter the general airport area. Where I could have easily left the airport. I thought that was funny.

Got on the airplane, slept a little thankfully, then arrived in Taipei. On the bus into the city there was a man who vomited quite a lot on the floor. Nice. No one said a thing. Then he moved seats so he wouldn't have to sit with vomit at his feet. lol. I had to inwardly laugh at that one.

It was raining heavily when I arrived. I am very glad I had my umbrella handy. I took it with me to the UK because I thought I would need it in Scotland, which I didn't.

Apparently it had been raining the whole week in Taiwan whilst I enjoyed a rain free Scotland. Something strange there. haha.

Shanghai airport ceiling at departures. haha. I thought it was great :D


No comments:

Post a Comment