Monday 4 January 2010

New Year and Taipei- Friday 1st

Happy New Year!

New years for me was a quiet one :) I enjoyed that. I had intended to turn in early...but I ended up on the internet or something and stayed up late. Which turned into my catching a later bus the next morning to Taipei.

FRIDAY 1st:
On friday I jumped on a bus and made my way up north.

This was in Taipei main station MRT.


I entertained myself for most of the morning/afternoon. First I went to the National Taiwan Museum...I'm saving the Palace Museum for another time. I went to a nice small place where I learned lots about the aboriginal folks of Taiwan. It was amazing all the information they had. I also learned about 'magic' and 'shamans' of a specific tribe. It was a really great museum with lots of information...and it has English! The only thing that wasn't in English was an exhibit about the plants and animals of Taiwan and a section on the early history (stone age stuff) and some other tribes of Taiwan (all on the second floor).

After a relaxing and educational walk around...which took a few hours :) I had a wander around Peace Park (that is where the National Musum is). You get the MRT to NTU Hospital (first stop from Taipei Main Station on the Zindian or Nanshijiao line), and it is literally right there. No requirement to wander around.

Entrance to the National Taiwan Museum.




Gate into Peace Park.




On the steps going to the pavila.








After that I jumped back on the MRT to go to the National Dr. Sun Yat-Sen memorial hall...it was on my way to Taipei 101.
http://www.yatsen.gov.tw/english/briefintro.htm

From Taipei Main Station you jump on the blue line-in Nangang Direction. The stop is called Sun Yat-Sen Memorial hall. It will cost you NT$20 if you don't have a pass or day ticket.

It was great there. I managed to arrive in time for the changing of the guard. I tried to record some of it, i'm not sure how it turned out. There were lots of people there because it was a national holiday.

I had a wander around the gardens there. It had a fantastic atmosphere. There were lots of kids running around trying to make giant bubbles. There were people flying kites. Also, just a general happy, relaxed feeling. Everyone was enjoying the day.
After that I meandered to Taipei 101. Not much to tell here. I walked through a cool little park area on the way that had a happy little buddha there.





Dr. Sun Yat-Sen


A new guard in place.




Flower floats to promote the flower festival.








The next two are characters for the upcoming flower festival :)




View of 101 from the park.


Little Buddha in the park.


This was at a random intersection. I love Taipei.


In 101. A shop window: guess what for.


Once in 101 I went up to the 5th floor to the entrance to the observatory area (you can go to the top and take pictures) but the cue was half way around the mall. So I decided to have a stroll and find a coffee shop. Which I did...and had a not too good latte. But one shouldn't complain.

Whilst munching on a terrible snack and drinking the not so nice coffee I was reading my book 'The Sailor Who Fell From Grace From the Sea' by Yuikio Mishima. It is a brutal/bloddy fiction that is a discourse on 'objectivity'. The view that all of reality is false. It has been a pretty good read thusfar, even though it is rather carnal and violent in areas.

So I was no doubt displaying amusing facial expressions whilst reading. The last chapter I was reading whilst having my coffee was the group of boys in the book killing a kitten. Not nice at all. But interesting in terms of the plot. It's just something you have to read.

After that I made my way to Kurt's apartment. I walked back through the Memorial gardens to get the MRT. In the area outside the memorial building there was a classical band playing, promoting their cd. I was ever so tempted to buy one...but it was only nostalgia that was encouraging me to do so. They played beautifully!



Once at Kurt's we had a catch up then we headed out to have dinner. We ate at a place called 'KGB' haha! It's run by New Zealanders. It is a great place for burgers. I'll have to get a business card next time i'm in the area so I can post the details.

Hans joined us there, then we headed out to a wee bar not too far from Kurt's place. He hadn't been there before and so it was the ideal opportunity to check it out. It is called 'Bar 45'. It was a great place. A tad grubby but it was awesome in that it reminded me of any typical unkempt UK bar :D

We were there until the wee hours. I had a great time chatting and laughing. It was nice to relax with friends I hadn't seen for a while. I probably rambled on a bit too much, but such is life...and Gilly Bean with a couple drinks in her :D

Pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment