Monday 3 May 2010

Lukang greatness

Saturday was the usual of hanging out in Chunghua.

On Sunday, Megan, Anthony, Zach, a new friend Mike and I went to Lukang. Megan drove us. haha. It was so funny. Her poor car couldn't handle three foreigners in the back. So we tried having Zach and Anthony in the front seat...that was impractical for Megan driving, so Zach ended up driving.

It was so funny.
Anthony and Zach in the front seat.


Once getting to Lukang we had a bite to eat. Some of it was delicious, other things, like the Oyster Omelet was not so tasty. But I was told it wasn't very tasty for those who know it. So i'm glad it wasn't just me. I was put off by the not so tasty gloop that was in it.

The dish in the front was the oyster omelet. Behind that to the right was deep friend lobster, a bit greasy but yummy. We also had some tofu and veg like stuff that was very yummy.

In Lukang there must have been some kind of festival happening[Edit: my friend told me it was Mazu's birthday-She is the goddess who protects fishermen and sailors]. It was amazing, there were so many 'parades' going on. They had various dancers, drumming, the folks in the big suits. I also saw guys who had hit themselves over the head with a sword, they were bleeding, but it was a trance like thing so the Gods were with them.

We were outside one of the most famous in Lukang (Mazu Temple), a temple I have visited before, when they had really cool stuff going on. Awesome costumes etc. Unfortunately i'm a bit too short and was too far back to get really great pictures. I'm hoping Zach had more luck and I can pinch his for posting here.















My unfortunate view of the celebrations.


After that we wandered around and looked in what I suppose is meant to be a house of wonder. Like at a circus when they have the freak show. It was quite entertaining, but there were animals kept there in conditions that made me upset. There was nothing I could do though.

A poor Pelican in a small cage.


They had a case of Santa in different outfits. Here is a female santa.


From the house of wonder.


Then we went in search of Longshan Temple, one of the most famous temples in Taiwan. It was really peaceful there. There was an old lady who tried to talk to me. She was amazing! She was so friendly and wasn't bothered at all that I couldn't talk to her. She had such a wonderful spirit.

Awesome doors we spotted on the way to Longshan Temple. It was a building used by a group of writers who get together.


Longshan Temple.












The music they were playing was beautiful. I recorded some, I shall attempt to upload it here.


















You can just about see the lovely little lady who spoke to me.






We then went to 'Breast touching lane'. This is the narrowest street in Lukang. It is called Mo-Lu lane. It has it's name because you have to 'touch breasts' (I think that is an antiquated term that can be giggled at by youngsters) with people if they are walking from the opposite direction. There were old houses along the street that had been abandoned long ago, so you could see through windows and look at the rubble. There was one new door...so folks may well still live there.

Mo-Lu Lane


Zach and I




A very wealthy temple we popped into on the way back to the car.


A quite scary face on a suit that folks wear for various celebrations. Then they look like a giant :)




Then we headed back to Chunghua. Zach and I went to Anthony's for movie night. First we watched some crazy TV then watched 'Momento' a particularly bizarre film but I really enjoyed it and I think i've seen it before.

That concludes the weekend. It was really nice to relax with good friends and see some beautiful temples and witness May Day celebrations. Which i've been told it's Mazu's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment